The rights of an individual to use the Community District Library should not be abridged or denied. To guarantee these rights to all persons, no library patron shall engage in behaviors prohibited by the following rules of the Library Board while on the grounds or within any branch of the Community District Library.
No person shall:
- Make solicitations for any reason
- Eat or drink in the library except in staff areas and as authorized at public meetings
- Smoke in the library
- Willfully annoy another person
- Damage or deface public property
- Improperly remove library materials or equipment
- Loiter in library
- Engage in loud or boisterous behavior
- Use radios or portable media players, or computers in the library unless headphones are used quietly
- Be in a state of intoxication in a manner that causes a public disturbance
- Utter profane, obscene or injurious language
- Remain in the building after hours without authorization by the staff.
- Enter or remain in the building without wearing shoes or shirt
- Interfere with other library patrons use of facilities through extremely poor personal hygiene
- Sleep in the library
- Engage in any illegal activity.
- Use cell phone in the library except in designated areas**
It is the charge of the Community District Library staff to see that the rights of the individuals to use the library are upheld. The library staff is obligated to enforce these rules so that the facilities can be used fairly and equitably by all persons.
The staff will follow this procedure regarding patron misconduct at the library:*
- First Offense — oral warning by staff
- Second Offense – written warning with loss of library privileges for one month (30 days)
- Third Offense – permanent loss of library privileges
The staff may expel the offender(s) without warning, at the discretion of the staff, in situations of serious, threatening or willfully malicious behavior.
The police will be called to deal with those who are unwilling to leave within a reasonable amount of time, being instructed to do by the library staff
Persons who violate the above rules and/or ordinances are subject to the withholding of library privileges if subsequent offenses occur.