What is the proposal?
The Community District Library is asking voters to approve a new .7 operating millage for four years. The current .5 mill levy, vital for funding daily library operations, was approved by voters in August of 2008 and will expire on December 31, 2012. If this new millage is passed, it will provide 83% of the library system’s operating revenue.
What is the cost?
If the operating millage is approved, the cost of .7 mill for a Community District Library service area homeowner whose home has a market value of $129,000 (the median value in Shiawassee County) with a taxable value of $64,500 is $45 per year- the cost of two hardcover novels.
How does the library support the community?
During these tough economic times, the Community District Library is needed and used more than ever. People depend on the library for assistance with job searching, checking out materials instead of buying them, computers and access to high speed internet, wi-fi, resources for homework, classes, programs for education and entertainment, research and lifelong learning and a comfortable, inviting place where they can gather to interact with one another.
What does the operating millage funding provide?
- Materials and programs for all ages
- Computers and technology
- Workshops, seminars, and classes
- Business, employment, investment, how-to, and homework resources
What happens with a successful approval of .7 mills?
What happens if the millage fails?
More people are finding our libraries every day! We now have 9700 registered patrons, up from 3800 patrons at the last millage… that’s a 155% increase in the last three years! Our circulation, computer usage and program attendance has skyrocketed, too!
Community District Library Annual Highlights
If the 124,000+ patron visits every year isn’t telling enough, see what else CDL is doing!
- Circulation has risen with the increased patrons, topping more than 111,800 items in the last year.
- Computer Usage has increased tremendously from both in-house and laptop users, offering services and resources to job searchers, students, home-school teachers, and recreational users.
- During the last year, CDL hosted 369 programs with a total attendance of 6856 patrons!
On average, more than 350 patrons visit our libraries every day – that’s more than 124,000 patron visits in a year!