Frequently Asked Questions
Place holds on materials online, or by visiting or calling any Community District Library location during business hours. You will be notified by email or phone when your hold has arrived at your pickup location. It may take several days for staff to retrieve and deliver your hold; longer if there are others on hold for the same title.
Please be aware that there are some limitations on placing holds:
- Reference materials cannot be requested.
- Items you request that are currently checked out may not necessarily be returned by the due date stated in the catalog.
- Limit of 50 hold requests pending on your library card account at one time.
- Items owned from another library system may not be requestable if they do not meet their loaning criteria.
- The Library will attempt to notify you by email on file or phone when your requested items are ready for pickup. You may also check the status of holds and view other library card information online in My Account.
- Materials will be kept on the hold shelf for 5 days from the date they are received, videos will be held for 3 days.
- You must use the same library card to request and check out your requested item.
Requesting Items Not Owned by CDL
- Some items in the catalog may not be owned by a CDL branch, but are requestable for delivery to a CDL branch of your choice. This service is free of charge.
- Still can’t find what you need? Search MeLCat to find items from more than 400 Michigan Libraries to be delivered to the branch of your choice. This service is free.
- If you can’t find what you need, you may submit a purchase suggestion to CDL and we will review the item for possible purchase.