The Community District Library will offer several cooking programs in the coming weeks. These highly popular classes draw a large crowd so preregistration is required.
- The Lennon Branch will host a Chinese cooking demonstration with Ming Louie on January 22nd at 5:00pm. Participants will learn the basic techniques of cooking and dining etiquette in this hands-on egg roll program. Learn to speak a bit of Chinese, use chop sticks and discover new and healthy foods. Phone 810-621-3202 to register.
Professional Chef and Food Network star Michelle Bommarito will share her culinary techniques during the following demonstrations:
- January 21st at 6:00pm ~ Perry Branch ~ Bommarito will share ideas on how to create a homemade vegetable stock that will enhance the flavor of any soup recipe during Seasonal Soups. Phone 517-625-3166 to register.
- January 27th at 5:00pm ~ Bancroft Branch ~ Learn creative ways to infuse healthy ingredients into your children's meals and have them eat up every bite during the Healthy Twist on the Comfort Favorites demonstration. Phone 989-634-5689 to register.
- February 3rd at 5:00pm ~ Byron Branch ~ Authentic Italian recipes will be shared during Come La Mia Nonna...Just like grandma used to make. Phone 810-266-4620 ext 312 to register.
- February 11th at 6:00pm ~ Corunna Branch ~ Ole Mexican Cuisine will be the menu. Phone 989-743-4800 to register.
- February 16th at 6:00pm ~ Morrice Branch ~ Cupcakes meets wedding cakes design demonstration. Phone 517-625-7911 to register.
- February 18th at 6:00pm ~ New Lothrop Branch ~ Bring it back to the supper table by maximizing your nutritional intake by learning delicious recipes using "super foods" that the whole family will enjoy. Phone 810-638-7575 to register.
Bookflix from Scholastic for grades Pre-K to 5. These are colorful and interactive books with a read along option and allows beginning readers to explore fiction and nonfiction designed to increase understanding and fluency.
Kids eReading Room from Overdrive. Younger readers can enjoy a safe and easy browsing experience which filters the entire collection for age-appropriate content. Individual searches can be made according to reading level, subject matter, and other criteria, allowing children and parents to find what they need quickly.
Teens eReading Room from Overdrive. The Teen eReading Room filters the overall digital collection to only show Young Adult content, which helps teens find the titles they want faster!
ABCmouse.com. With 3,500+ interactive books, educational games, puzzles, and other learning activities, ABCmouse.com’s award winning online curriculum is an invaluable resource for young learners(ages 2-6+). From Age of Learning, Inc. Free for use in our library.
Adults eReading Room from Overdrive.
eBooks are available anytime, anywhere, and expire automatically. There’s no need to worry about late fees. You may search for books by Subject, Collection or Reading Level, and as always-it’s all free to our patrons. You may download up to 4 audio or e-books to your e-reading device. All you need is your patron number and pin. Happy reading!
The Community District Library branches will be offering card holders 18 and older a chance to have a blind date with a book! Between February 2nd and February 14th patrons can stop by any CDL branch and have a mysterious assignation. Those looking for a "date" can choose one free book per library visit. "If you’re up for a rendezvous, all you have to do is take home one of the books on display. They are all wrapped in Valentine paper, and you won’t know the identity of your blind date until you get it home. Will it be fiction or non-fiction? Funny, informative, entertaining or heart-breaking? Spend some time getting to know your date. There will be no uncomfortable questions to answer, no awkward lulls in the conversation, no need to put on nice shoes (or even get out of your pajamas). Sure, you might be disappointed; but then again.... you may end up having a great time with something you would otherwise never have ventured to read", says Jami Cromley, CDL Director.
"Inside each book is a ‘Rate Your Blind Date’ slip: if you’re so inclined, you can say whatever you want about it. Even if your date turns out to be a dud, (don’t worry; its feelings won’t be hurt), all is not lost! With each slip returned you will be entered into a drawing. One lucky Blind Dater per branch will win dinner for two to Applebee’s."